It has been a whopping five weeks since I last posted, and man, can I ever feel it! I started the semester February 1, and as the momentum of the semester got rolling, things got tougher for me. At first I felt too overwhelmed to be blogging, then it seemed like a catch-up post would take more effort than I could muster, and then I just decided to give it a while, thinking somehow that blogging was a part of the equation that could stand to go (temporarily), thinking it might be a burden. I think I figured wrong on that point, as I had been feeling so much more productive, more accountable, and more connected to the conversations going on on the internet during the time I was blogging. I’ve still been reading the posts of others–and loving what they’re saying!–but I have let other things get in the way of my own blogging, and I miss it!
Here is what I’m up to these days:
- daily commute, which totals anywhere from 1hr 10m to 1hr 40m
- five classes (four on campus and one online)
- 15-25 hours of work per week
- 30+ hours (since February 22) observing in a high school classroom (in random 2 to 5 hour chunks)
- babysitting once or twice a week
My spring break is this week, and in many senses it is the perfect storm–well, perfect calm–for me. For a lot of reasons that are not of general interest, I don’t have to go in to work until Thursday, I won’t be observing in the high school classroom because they’re on spring break, and I actually get a FIVE commute-free days in a row. What to do with myself?!
Today, I babysat. Tomorrow and Wednesday will probably be some mix of getting some school work done (to relieve pressure in the coming weeks), dropping things off for consignment, taking the dogs on a walk or two, and finding a few things to purge. I love it!
I’ll spare you a dense recap of my last five weeks. Here is the gist of it:
- I hit my goal of $2000 in my ING savings accounts by the end of February
- I set (and met) a goal of getting to $2500 in ING savings by the end of March (currently at $2552)
- the inside of my car has been a mess (need to get back on track with that resolution)
- I’ve been putting 50% of all side hustle toward health insurance and 10% of it toward retirement savings
- For my paychecks, I’m putting $100 toward health, 10% to retirement, 10% to emergency, 10% to irregular
- I have been reading a couple of books (personal finance ones & Free Food for Millionaires,per Lindy’s recommendation)
- I’m still recording my expenditures
- it isn’t that I’ve been bad about recording my exercise, it is that I haven’t been exercising…
- my dining out is out of control
- I’ve had so much fun ooohing and aahhhing over the pictures of my friends’ babies
- I’ve gotten to go visit my boyfriend a few times on the organic farm where he’s working (love it there!)
- I’ve realized I’m worse with cash than with my debit card (and I want to keep thinking on why that is and what I should do about it)
- I’ve had a few bad moods that were purely products of my messy room, so that’s got to be taken care of
- discovered that there’s a growler station near my house, and I love that!
- I’m looking forward to a few upcoming weddings of friends (and associated festivities) starting at the end of April
That’ll do for now! I’m excited to get back in a rhythm here!