I don’t think it’s possible. Not to me, anyway. I don’t find computer organization and security to be a very riveting topic–or task. Perhaps that’s why I’ve been putting off both projects since I bought my computer in April? Given my pretty sizable disinterest, I’m kind of stoked about how much I got done on along these lines today. My remaining balance of work-free, school-free days is dwindling (my spring semester starts Tuesday), so I’m trying to be as productive as possible. Fortunately, I got to spend two and a half hours over tea with a dear friend this morning, so my day wasn’t spent entirely at the digital helm!
Here’s what I tackled, with the minutes each task took in parentheses:
- cleared my browser’s history & top sites (1)
- relocated all of my desktop icons to trash or folders (2)
- deleted any downloaded files I no longer needed (5)
- pared down the icons in my dock–see picture above! (1)
- deleted unnecessary bookmarks (1)
- organized remaining bookmarks into folders (2)
- emptied trash (after making sure everything was actually trash!) (1)
- added a password for access to my computer (at start-up and post-sleep) (1)
- created new folders and assigned all items in “Documents” to folders (12)
- installed Dropbox and invited several of my friends to do the same (5)
Thirty-one minutes, max! It was well worth the effort, as things already feel cleaner on here. It was a necessary evil, I suppose. Still, I don’t enjoy it, so other than a potential update on how I fare with the items below, I don’t anticipate computer-related stuff showing up too many more times on ListfulWistful.
Here are the remaining projects/tasks I have in mind:
- install my new hard drive (My Passport for Mac, 320GB)
- see which things on this list apply to me
- make copies of important files and add them to my Dropbox
- scan some of my papers either for digital back-up or to be able to toss the physical copy
- a little email organization for my personal email account
- take another look at these two articles on Unclutterer: one, two
Glad phase one is behind me!